Our Coalition employs ten core strategies to advance our mission and vision for Sussex County:
- Monitor community health status
- Raise community awareness of community health issues.
- Give voice to community concerns and ideas.
- Expand and publicize the knowledge base on community health promotion.
- Proactively engage people and organizations from all sectors (not-for-profit, public, private) in community health promotion.
- Facilitate development of child and family health promotion strategies.
- Develop and mobilize community resources for community health promotion.
- Build community capacity for policy and program development.
- Support collaborative efforts to improve community policies, programs, and practices.
- Evaluate and report on the impact of our actions.
Members of the community who are passionate about joining the movement to create a healthier community are encouraged to access SCHC membership. There is no membership fee to join the Coalition. We invite you to engage in our mission through one of our committees as we work together to increase efficiencies, reduce redundancy, identify opportunities to share resources, increase awareness of existing services and to improve the capacity of grassroots efforts through training, technical assistance and seed funding. Contact us to receive a membership application and a committee meeting schedule.
We envision a community in which our citizens and institutions (public, private, and not-for-profit) are actively engaged in community health promotion as a shared community good, and working together to create a cultural and physical environment which supports healthy lifestyles for our children and their families.
The Sussex County Health Promotion Coalition exists to engage the entire community in collaborative family-focused effort to improve the health of children, youth and families in Sussex County.
Our Coalition is viewed by our community as a respected source of knowledge and action for community health promotion, with an organizational culture that is inclusive, welcoming, respectful, trustworthy, non-partisan, listening, responsive, action-oriented, and accountable.
- Health Committee
This Committee positively impacts and promotes healthy outcomes for children and families through collaboration with key health community partners that empowers families to live healthy lifestyles.
- Youth Engagement / Serving Organizations Committee
This is a proactive Committee that will engage, empower and educate youth engagement and youth serving organizations and the community they serve, to improve or impact the health needs of children living in Sussex County.
- Worksite Wellness Committee
Assisting local businesses in promoting health and wellness amongst their employees and employees’ families.
- Early Learning Action Team
This committee identifies issues and specific needs of young children in the community and collaborates with our partners to provide support through training, education and shared resources.
- Behavioral Health Task Group
BHTG is an inclusive and collaborative group focused on providing education, service expansion and advocacy to ensure that adults and children have access to quality mental and behavioral health services in Sussex County.
- Sussex Success
This Committee coordinates efforts to provide a forum to connect key service providers, to better assist individuals and families, in accessing services in Sussex County. The goal is to improve overall physical and economic health.
The Sussex County Health Coalition was founded in 2006 in conjunction with Nemours Health and Prevention Services. The Coalition worked to bring the community together around issues concerning our Sussex County children. In recent years, the Coalition’s successes have extended from serving the child to the entire family and the community they live in by focusing on the overall goal of a healthier Sussex County.
- Nonprofit Support
- Grant Management
- Program Development
- Marketing & Media
- Community Dinners
- IM 40 Asset Development
- Worksite Wellness
- School Based Mental Health
- Sussex Success
- Healthy School Awards
- Youth In Government